four words: kale apple almond salad.
why? because this is everything. it’s superfood packed and DELISH and… not to mention… whole30 compliant!
SO. this salad is modeled after my favoriteeeeeee salad at bread & butter. i put my own spin on it – a winter spin if you will, but i LOVE it as a side with some grilled chicken and avocado and a grain and and and EVERYTHING.
that’s what i get when i go to the hot food bar for lunch at work.
anywho. like i said. this is definitely a DECEMBER salad. it could also be a january salad. or maybe even a february salad. but the pomegranate is probably best in december. and the pomegranate is KEY.
plus it just makes it look so GORGEOUS. you guys know i’m obsessed with the color of pomegranate right? cause i am. favorite color. the end.
in the recipe i tell you to use the vinegar and citrus juice of your choice. i’ll tell you right now, i used a specialty vinegar (mulled spices) and grapefruit juice (fresh).
i’d DIE for this with like a strawberry vinegar though. or even my favorite red wine vinegar would be good. thats what i love about this vinaigrette, you can just do whatever feels right. (definitely try strawberry vinegar and orange juice!)
so you can shake up the dressing SUPER fast and then you just have to massage it in!
this is what makes kale tolerable! kale is wonderful like that, it won’t wilt to the point where it’s mushy, even if you leave it in the fridge for like a day or two! but massaging it makes it gentler and the kale takes on the flavor and its just amazing.
then you sprinkle all the stuff. yeah STUFF. (aka the almonds, apple, chia seeds, pomegranate seeds). and it becomes gorgeous and amazing.
i just want to share it with everyone. all the people.
let’s be real. the “stuff” is the best part of this whole thing.
- 1 bunch kale
- 3 tablespoons vinegar of choice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 honey crisp apple
- ¼ cup slivered or crushed almonds
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- salt & pepper to taste
- Rinse the kale and, using your fingers, rip the kale into little pieces (avoid the stalky rib). Put the Kale in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the vinegar and olive oil. Drizzle over the kale and massage the dressing into the pieces.
- Cut the apple into match sticks and mix into the kale. Be sure to get some of the dressing on the apple, to keep the fruit from oxidizing!
- Sprinkle the salad with the almonds, pomegranate seeds, chia seeds, and salt & pepper.
- Set the salad in the fridge and let the kale marinade! If you're making the salad more than 20 minutes to 2 hours ahead of time, I'd keep the toppings off until serving time and just let the kale marinade in the dressing on its own!
get me a fork. …. please? ❤️
Make it? Lemme see it! Hashtag it: #thepikeplacekitchen
* this post may contain affiliate amazon links and/or other affiliate/referral links. I earn a SMALL commission on purchases you make through amazon, at NO ADDITIONAL cost to you. you use amazon exactly as you used to and are still entitled to the same deals you would get through a non-affiliate link. i may earn discounts or a percentage of purchases through other affiliate/referral links within this post. I only endorse products/services I actually use in my own kitchen and likely have paid for on my own – if i’m recommending it, it means I truly believe in the quality of the product. thank you for supporting the Pike Place Kitchen and helping to keep the blog up and running.