ask and you shall receive
okay, i admit that was cheesy. but seriously though, you asked for healthy easy breakfasts ^ BING-FREAKING-GO. because you know what’s not cheesy? these muffins. in fact, they’re dairy-free, flour-less, anddddd they don’t even require sugar (we’re using maple syrup up in here).
the kicker? they’re still freaking delish.
i’m talking, actually taste like a brownie DELISH.
who doesn’t want that for breakfast? if you’re against breakfast brownies are we even friends? do you even go here? what’s next? i can’t have pizza for breakfast?
fyi – my health teacher in high school once told us pizza was probably healthier than most other breakfast options, because #foodgroups
so i know you’re skeptical. i CAN FEEL your skepticism.
let’s lay it out on the table: yes, these are made with black beans. PLEASE STOP GIVING ME THAT LOOK.
i promise you, i wouldn’t be sharing them with you if I didn’t plan on making them again. i was skeptical too, but then… they were so good. ugh.
i wanted to make a batch of these and serve them at superbowl to see if people even noticed. unfortunately… i was really pressed for time and had an oven that was otherwise occupied with a calzone, two trays of buffalo chicken dip, andddd trying to prepare my meals for the week.
but i can tell you that frankie didn’t know anything about the muffins before he ate one and he loved it.
the trick is to make sure you REALLY blend up the beans so that the skin/shells (?) are in really tiny pieces.
oh and don’t eat the batter. i didn’t try it, but i also don’t recommend it. it might LOOK exactly like brownie batter, but i draw the line there.
these muffins flew out of our house. frankie wanted one every day for breakfast. i took one each day and even shared one with a friend who is also into healthy eating and she lovedddd them too!
personally, i was eating mine topped with a little buff bake. <- stuff is off the chain btw. i’m so sad its off limits during this whole30.
side note: aren’t those the cutest bowls ^ i adore them. thanks laura and britt for encouraging my antropologie purchases.
anddd i wonder where all my money goes…
um, oh yeah, we’re talking about muffins.
i tried to cut pretty much every unhealthy corner i could with these. black beans as a base, almond milk in place of dairy, coconut oil in place of butter, and maple syrup in place of sugar.
the result was not only a breakfast we loved, but one i felt no guilt about feeding frankie each morning.
um and they’re totally filling because of the protein from the beans!
I served mine warm each time (i’d heat it up in the microwave for like 10 seconds at work) but stored them in the fridge. < – you could totally make a batch and have them all week – meal prep win.
Also, i totally recommend the powdered sugar dusting. defeats the “healthy” purpose, but if you just use a little i think it adds a lot in presentation. just saying.
and without further adieu: a beard pic for the masses. you’re welcome.
- 15 oz black beans
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- 2 heaping tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 heaping teaspoon freshly ground coffee
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the wet ingredients (beans, eggs, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla extract and coconut oil) in a food processor and pulse until smooth. You want the beans to be as broken up as possible.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the food processor (the dry ingredients - cocoa powder, baking soda, chocolate chips, coffee) and run until well combined.
- If you're using muffin liners, spoon the batter into the liners. If you're not using liners, spray the muffin tin with cooking spray and spoon the batter into the tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a tooth pick comes out clean from the muffins.
- If storing, refrigerate and heat in the microwave prior to serving them.
move over pancakes, my sunday mornings belong to guilt-free muffins now.
Make it? Lemme see it! Hashtag it: #thepikeplacekitchen