OMG. I’m scared about this post. Scared and excited. Okay… I’m jumping up and down from excitement… or from the sugar? who knows.
I did something… dare I say… daring?
Maybe you don’t understand. Where I come from, in the smallest state with the longest name, this is a HUGE deal. tbh, I didn’t even know it was a “Rhode Island thing” until college. It’s such a big deal in my state that we even dedicated our “state drink” to the stuff.
For a few years now, I’ve been thinking about doing it. going for it. because living so far from home has made me miss the stuff. miss lil’ rhody. And so on a dreary day I marched my butt down to starbucks, bought a Venti Pike Place Roast, and let magic happen in my kitchen.
We’ve talked about my hatred for dairy. We’ve discussed how I loathe copious amounts of cheese. We’ve had lighthearted debates about how I’d rather shoot myself in the foot than eat a soup with cream in it. Oh, we haven’t had that conversation? oh…. nevermind.
What we haven’t talked about is how when I was a kid I would only drink milk if it was flavored. I said NAH to the chocolate and I’d maybe occasionally let the pink swirls of strawberry grace my plastic cup. I was holding out. Cause this gurrrl knew where it was at: coffee milk. aw yeah. or as my homies would say: cawfee milk. I’m a rhode islandah, stawp judging and I’ll stawp talking in my accent.
The stuff is magical. As in, it will magically change your life. When I was little, like five years old, I used to want to be JUST like my grandpa. Which meant I wanted overalls, homemade peanut butter crackers, and coffee. but I was five. so instead of giving me liquid crack my grandma would mix a couple tablespoons of coffee syrup into my milk and call it coffee. I was none the wiser.
Now that I’m older, I fully understand the miracle benefits of drinking my caffeine. I don’t really ever drink coffee milk anymore, I’ve got lattes. But since moving away, every once in a while I feel nostalgic and just want a glass of coffee milk.
SO. I made some syrup. It may not be autocrat or eclipse. But if you’ve left Rhode island maybe it’ll satisfy your craving and bring you back to your childhood for a minute…. at least until you can make your way back to the glorious 401.
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Bring the coffee to a boil in a medium sauce pan over medium/high heat.
- Reduce heat to low/medium and stir in sugar and vanilla extract. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until syrup reaches desired consistency. I let mine boil down about a half a cup - leaving me with a cup and a half of syrup.
- Allow syrup to cool before using.
- Store in refrigerator for up to a week!
- Really, it's all about preference. My go-to ratio is about 3 & ½ tablespoons of syrup to 8 ounces of milk. Taste as you go and add more syrup as necessary! Clearly you can garnish with whipped cream (it's what the cool kids are doing).
Make it? Lemme see it! Hashtag it: #thepikeplacekitchen