I KNOW I KNOW IVE BEEN THE WORST BLOGGER EVER. here’s the thing. i have this really big test that i’m prepping for and my life is incredibly boring. but i passed the multiple choice so we’re getting closer to me being normal!
and i brought you gifts!
my favorite saltine candy AND homemade chocolate sea salt caramel sauce. do you still love me?
i think i cracked the code here. this sauce is so freaking good.
i could literally put it on ANYTHING.
(i especially recommend ice cream… and saltines)
tell me that sauce don’t look like it’s just BEGGING to be put on a cookie. or a waffle. or pie.
honestly… i’d eat it off the spoon.
and i did.
it tastes EXACTLY like my favorite chocolate sea salt caramel sauce from target. (which i don’t think they sell anymore so its a good thing i came up with a recipe for it)
also: the sea salt is non-negotiable
its so necessary.
anyway, the chocolate sauce isn’t the focus here. it’s actually the candy!
which i don’t even know if i can classify this as candy. can i?
its really just chocolate covered saltines. but its… just so addicting.
and simple! its probably the easiest thing ever to make.
i came up with it when i was in seattle as a quick snack
i was bored and it sounded weirdly like that christmas crack that i’m still dying to learn how to make. side note: MOM SEND ME YOUR RECIPE FOR THAT PLEASE. thanks xoxo
literally. all you’re going to do is make this sauce. which takes literally 5 minutes.
so you make the sauce. and you crush up the saltines. and then you pour sauce over the saltines. and then you bake it. and. that’s. it.
i made it for the doyles when i was out in seattle once and they really liked it!
and frankie really likes it.
and i really like it. SO. that means everyone will like it. i’ve decided.
it’s definitely a party pleaser so if you’re in a pinch and want something quick and easy to whip up this is your new go-to.
it’s also weirdly autumn-y to me. even though its not apples or pumpkin or anything. the chocolate sea salt caramel gets all toasty and a little bit burnt and its so good.
so lets have a bowl of delicious chocolatey toasty saltine candy!
because. why. not.
(please forgive me for not being 100% here this past month.) i promise i’ll be back to my old self soon. xoxo.
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ⅔ cup whipping cream
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 sleeve of saltine crackers
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, whipping cream, butter, and salt. Stirring constantly, bring the ingredients to a full boil. This should take 2-3 minutes.
- Once the ingredients reach a boil, add in the chocolate and stir until the chocolate melts and the sauce is smooth, about two minutes.
- Transfer the sauce into a jar and let it cool.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- While the sauce is cooling, take the sleeve of saltine and gently break them into large pieces in a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle ¼ cup of the sauce over the saltines and use a spoon to get some of the sauce on all of the pieces.
- Spread the pieces across a large baking sheet lined with a silpat mat or parchment paper.
- Drizzle additional sauce over the pieces if you see some bare spots.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then remove the sheet and allow the pieces to cool.
Make it? Lemme see it! Hashtag it: #thepikeplacekitchen
* this post may contain affiliate amazon links and/or other affiliate/referral links. I earn a SMALL commission on purchases you make through amazon, at NO ADDITIONAL cost to you. you use amazon exactly as you used to and are still entitled to the same deals you would get through a non-affiliate link. i may earn discounts or a percentage of purchases through other affiliate/referral links within this post. I only endorse products/services I actually use in my own kitchen and likely have paid for on my own – if i’m recommending it, it means I truly believe in the quality of the product. thank you for supporting the Pike Place Kitchen and helping to keep the blog up and running.