Skillet Burrito Chicken
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts, diced into small pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, divided
- 1 can black beans, divided
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes & green chilies, divided
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup instant brown rice
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed & dried
- cilantro & cheese optional
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes until outsides are white. Add in the onion, bell pepper, and 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning.
- Drain and rinse the black beans. In a blender combine 1 tablespoon taco seasoning, 1/2 the can of beans, 1/2 the can of tomatoes, 1/2 the jalapeño pepper, and the chicken broth. Blend until the mixture is well combined.
- Add the rest of the beans and tomatoes to the skillet with the chicken. Pour in the blended bean mixture and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and quinoa. Cover the skillet, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until rice is tender and quinoa is cooked.
- CHEESY OPTION: stir in 1/2 cup of mexican blend cheese and once melted cover the top of the skillet with an additional 1/2 cup of cheese and broil for 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts!